Spurs Lock In Redknapp, Set Sights on Brazilian Striker

London. Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp said on Tuesday that Sevilla striker Luis Fabiano was high on his wish list, but admitted that the player’s salary expectations could prove a stumbling block.

Tottenham has not made any official contact with the Spanish club, but Redknapp confirmed that he would be interested in the 29-year-old Brazil international, who had an impressive run during the World Cup.

“Yes, I like him,” Redknapp said during an interview with ESPN Soccernet.

“He’s a fabulous player and would be a brilliant addition to any team. It was put to us that he might be available, but we’ve not made contact with his club, Sevilla, and, to be perfectly honest, I haven’t sat down to discuss any transfer targets with our chairman, Daniel Levy, apart from trying to do a deal with Joe Cole.

“I am not unhappy with the squad I have, but of course if a special player came along I would look at it, and Fabiano is a special player all right. For sure, he is a class act, but I don’t know what he earns. He might be on mega-money, so it might prove to be impossible for us.”

Tottenham’s interest in free agent Cole continues and Redknapp said he hoped the former Chelsea midfielder would opt to head to White Hart Lane.

Cole is thought to be considering offers from Manchester City and Arsenal, but Spurs remain in the hunt, with Redknapp looking to team up again with the player he signed for West Ham.

“I managed Joe before, and I signed him when he was 11,” Redknapp said. “We have always had a good relationship. I know what makes Joe tick and it’s his love of the game, and his need to be playing it.

“I have spoken with Joe at length and I would like him, and when we talked, he appreciated my view that Tottenham is now a club going places.

“I would like Joe here with me, but it is now up to the club and up to Joe. If it is beyond us in financial terms I can appreciate that, but I am hoping other factors will come into play to make up Joe’s mind.”

Redknapp has also signed a contract extension to manage the team until 2013. His contract had been due to expire at the end of next season.

The 63-year-old Englishman took charge in October 2008 when Spurs were bottom of the English Premier League and transformed them into a top-four team by May.

“I am now committed to Spurs for the next three years and of course I am pleased by that,” Redknapp said. “That has made me think about how long I want to stay in the game, and who knows, I might stay with Spurs many more years than 2013.”

After finishing fourth in the Premier League last season, Spurs will contest a playoff next month to reach the Champions League group stage for the first time.

Redknapp, who left Portsmouth to manage Spurs, has shelved any talk of retirement.

“You never know what is around the corner and, while I have the energy, I think I will carry on for as long as I can,” he said.

“I have changed my mind and I feel as though I have a good few years left me in yet. When you see how long Sir Alex Ferguson has lasted, and some of the guys of the older generation that keep on going like Fabio Capello, Arsene Wenger and Roy Hodgson, you think I could do the same.

“None of them are youngsters any more, they are of the same age group, and it is true that there is no substitute for experience in management. The game is crying out for stability, and the experienced guys know the job.” (FP, AP)

Archive