Vancsik holds off Daly in Italy

American John Daly reaped the rewards of his decision to lose weight as he finished second behind Argentine Daniel Vancsik in the Italian Open.

Daly, a two-time major champion, scored his best result for nearly four years after shooting 66 to finish 11 under, six behind Vancsik (65) in Turin.

The 43-year-old Daly, who has lost 60lb in the last three months, is serving a six-month ban from the US Tour.

Also tied second were Englishman Robert Rock and France's Raphael Jacquelin.

Daly's runner-up spot in Italy, following a 31st finish last week in the Spanish Open, was his best since the October 2005 World Golf Championship and will help him climb from 794th place on the world rankings.

The 1991 US PGA winner and 1995 Open champion was suspended last November for bringing the US Tour into disrepute after he was accused of being found drunk outside a bar.

Since then, he has re-dedicated himself to golf and made inroads into his weight, which topped 20 stone, through a combination of diet and surgical implants.

Now the man labelled 'Wild Thing' will wait to see if he can make a successful return to the PGA Tour in June when his European run of five events ends.

"Things are improving every day and I'm looking forward to my next three European Tour tournaments, next week in Ireland and then Wentworth and I've heard the European Open course is good, too," he said.

"Then whatever happens in the States, happens."

The 32-year-old Vancsik led by two strokes going into the final round and carded eight birdies and two bogeys to clinch his second European Tour win with a total of 17 under.

Vancsik, one of the biggest hitters on the European Tour, added to his 2007 Madeira Islands Open title with an adept display of putting.

His inspiration to succeed again, after a serious shoulder injury last year, came from compatriot and close friend Angel Cabrera, last month's Masters winner.

"I stayed with Cabrera on the Tuesday after he won (the Masters) and we had a lot to talk about," said Vancsik.

"He's helped my career and he's the man I look up to. But it's not just me. He's won two (majors) now and it is good for all Argentine players. We all think that perhaps we can do it now as well."

Daly did his best to make a dent in Vancsik's lead as he produced six birdies following his only dropped shot, on the 2nd.

"It was always going to be difficult winning because every time I made a birdie Vancsik did but I had my eye on second place," said Daly, who sported a flamboyant range of trousers all week .

"I played really well and I've just believed in all my coach has been saying to me. I hit a lot of fairways this week. All I need to do is to work more on my putting."

Rock began the day in joint sixth but was able to move up the leaderboard thanks to birdies on the 7th, 8th and 14th whilst Jacquelin matched the Brit with a three-birdie round of his own.

Northern Ireland's Gareth Maybin, who started two shots off the lead, carded a one-over 72 to drop back to eight over overall and joint eighth place along with Scot Alastair Forsyth and Englishman Robert Dinwiddie, who shot 68 and 69 respectively.

Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk

Archive