Webber: I 'feel' like I'm Red Bull's No1

The fractious relationship between the two has hit the headlines all season, with Australian Webber being furious at his team favouring his young team-mate.

The two drivers crashed in Turkey when vying for the lead, and things got even worse at Silverstone when Webber had a front wing taken off his car and placed on Vettel's to help the German.

Despite this apparent clear signal that Vettel was the number one, Webber responded by winning the British Grand Prix, and took great delight in proclaiming "Not bad for a No. 2 driver" over his car radio as he crossed the line.

Webber has now proclaimed himself to be Red Bull's number one driver, and lifted the lid on the lack of a personal relationship between him and Vettel.

"We don't hang out," Webber told the Sydney Telegraph. "We work for the team and we work professionally.

"We have a big age difference so we didn't have much in common even before we began racing each other at this level.

"I don't know him at all away from the racetrack."

While Vettel has landed pole positions after pole position, he has struggled to turn those into wins, and trails Webber by 28 points in the Drivers' Championship.

Webber is second behind Lewis Hamilton, and he says that he is currently the number one ahead of the 23-year-old Vettel, who he warned could be out of a job if performances don't pick up.

"If you get creamed by your team-mate constantly then you won't be in this business long," Webber said.

"At this stage of my career and when you get somebody who is arguably or supposed to be world class on paper - in some people's eyes - you have to be on top of your game so you don't get steamrolled.

"You can be the No. 2 driver after a couple of races very easily. You have to be in there and it is a serious sport protecting your corner. I feel sensational in the team right now and I have rarely felt like a No. 2.

"I have had times when I have felt like I was a No. 2 and I reckon Seb has had times where he says, 'Oh, I am No. 2 now'.

"I feel like I am No. 1 at the moment, but it ebbs and flows."

Archive