Button happy with qualifying improvement

Prior to the start of the 2011 season, Jenson Button set himself the personal goal of improving in qualifying – having struggled in this area last year and been involved in a selection of racing incidents as an indirect consequence. So far this season, the McLaren driver has enjoyed two fourth-best qualifying positions and a front row grid spot in Shanghai last weekend.

“On a personal level, I've also been really pleased with my qualifying pace,” said the Frome man. “Before the season, I said it was one of my aims to improve that and I've been pretty satisfied with how things have worked out over the first three races.

“Apart from Mark (Webber)'s race in China, I think we’ve seen that it's difficult to make up ground if you're not right at the front because you're really at the mercy of a lot of other cars and their strategies; so getting qually right is crucial and we seem to be heading in the right direction.”

Archive