Guerrero apologises for fan incident

Hamburger SV striker Paolo Guerrero has admitted throwing a bottle at a fan who was shouting abuse at him was the biggest mistake of his career.

The Peruvian threw a plastic bottle in the face of a fan as he left the pitch following his side’s 0-0 draw with Hannover 10 days ago.

His actions saw him fined heavily by his club and banned for five matches by the German Football Association.

“That was the biggest mistake of my career,” Guerrero said in Sport Bild magazine.

“I am still horrified when I see the pictures. I still can’t understand my reaction.

“Something like that has never happened to me. I am normally not an impulsive person.”

Guerrero’s contract at the HSV Arena runs out at the end of the season, but, despite the incident, he is confident they will offer him a new deal.

“I am certain that the club will do something so I stay,” he added.

Archive