Schumi: Only way left to go is forward

Celebrating 20 years in Formula One at the track where it all started, Schumacher had hoped for a good performance in Saturday's qualifying, giving him the platform to achieve a solid result come Sunday's race.

But it was not to be.

Less than two minutes into qualifying, Schumacher, on his out-lap, lost his rear right wheel, leaving the German unable to control his W02 and crashing into the barriers.

The seven-time World Champ, though, is still positive about his chances in Sunday's 44-lap Belgian GP.

"Well, obviously I would have wished for a different end to today's qualifying, but it is difficult to drive on three wheels - even if I should have the experience to do so in Spa.

"Seriously, this is certainly something that should not occur, but then this is also Formula One; we are working at the highest level but still things can happen.

"At first, I wasn't sure what had happened, as I just felt myself lose the back end suddenly which is why I instantly apologised to the team. But then I saw the wheel off the car and understood the reason why I had lost control.

"Trying to find the good in the bad, I'd probably say that I still have some fresh sets of tyres left, and that there is only one direction to go tomorrow: forward."

Archive