Lorenzo philosophical on title challenge ahead of Malaysia

Following a presentation of the Tech Air – Alpinestars Electronic Airbag System, Jorge Lorenzo took part in a Q&A session in front of national and international media before catching up with his fans for photo and autographs.

Speaking with motogp.com, the Yamaha Factory Racing rider mentioned how special the Malaysian MotoGP round is for him, for the support he gets there but also for his achievement at the Sepang International Circuit.

"It's great to catch up with the fans and the press here in Kuala Lumpur as we enjoy great support and also we're seeing the Alpinestars brand getting stronger and stronger in Malaysia," commented Lorenzo. "Coming back here is always quite special as I have great memories from clinching my second 250cc title here in 2007 and of course, my first MotoGP championship… So I hope to get another good memory from Malaysia this year as well."

Currently leading the MotoGP World Championship standings with a 28-point lead over Dani Pedrosa, Lorenzo has a mathematical shot at the title - as a win would secure him his second title if his rival finishes no higher than 13th. However Lorenzo stressed that despite the pressure of getting another crown, he's tackling things with more calm than during his title-winning 2010 campaign.

"For me this year is quite different - two years ago, I was still chasing my first title so I was a little bit more nervous and I had to take more risks because I had to secure a first title," said the Spaniard. "Now that I have already won a title, at least I can be happy with winning it once, even if the goal is to get more titles - thinking about it, not so many riders have a title so now I can take things a bit more calmly."

The Yamaha Factory Racing rider admitted that Pedrosa proved stronger in the last couple of races but remains confident about being able to bear with the challenge of his arch-rival.

"Since Laguna Seca, Dani and his bike proved really strong and for us it's harder to beat him on a regular basis as it was the case in the early stages of the season, when we were able to build a solid lead in the Championship. Now it's more complicated but things change over the course of a season, so you have to keep a global perspective on the season and there's no point in going crazy about winning races when you know you can't. I tried but couldn't win the last two races but I might be able to win the next two… and if I can't I'll just have to make sure I finish as high as I can."

Archive