WSBK champion Troy Bayliss closes Superbike career at Portimao

Three-time WSBK champion Troy Bayliss will retire from Superbike racing after this coming weekend's race, a significant moment for a man that has lived the life of a Superbike champion for the last nine years, ever since he won the British Superbike title in 1999. He then went on to win the World title in 2001, in 2006 and for a third and final time this year, having clocked up over the last nine seasons 50 race wins and 92 podium finishes over 152 Superbike races.

In celebration of his victory in the 2008 World Superbike Championship aboard the 1098 F08, and the end of a career that proudly claims three World Championships with three generations of Ducati Superbike, Troy Bayliss' bike will this weekend carry a special commemorative livery.

Having won at nearly all of the circuits at which he has raced over the years, Troy Bayliss is also now looking for a win at Portimao.

"I am a lot more relaxed now that I know that we have done what we set out to do" said Bayliss. "We've won the riders and constructors titles and can tick that off the list. Now I can go to Portimao knowing that a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm looking forward to racing there, as what we saw during the recent test days was a very impressive track! It's been a long and stressful year and I'm tired, I feel I have just enough energy left to complete these last two races... I would love to finish the season, and my career, with a win so that's my goal this weekend, to ride with no pressure and just enjoy what will be my final two Superbike races!"

Source:
http://www.worldsbk.com

Archive