Ferrari doors stay open for Alonso

Luca di Montezemolo will not rule out one day securing the services of Fernando Alonso for Ferrari's formula one team.

Spaniard Alonso, a former double world champion, is regularly linked with the Maranello based outfit, but Ferrari remains committed to Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa for at least the next two years.

"I regard Fernando Alonso as a great driver, a genuine team leader and a nice chap," Montezemolo, Ferrari president, is quoted as saying by Spain's AS newspaper.

He revealed that Ferrari came close to signing Alonso before he moved to Renault and achieved back-to-back titles earlier this decade.

"I could have taken him under contract when he was still sitting in the Minardi -- but life is long," the Italian insisted.

Montezemolo said he rates other drivers as well.

"Of course I would like to have a driver like Hamilton, like Alonso. But that will be in another life, because in this life I have Michael (Schumacher), Kimi and Felipe.

"Maybe in two years I will tell you something different, but at the moment I am very, very happy."

Source:
http://newsonf1.net

Archive