Silva excited by Milan challenge

Thiago Silva arrived in Milan on Sunday where he is set to sign a contract to become AC's first acquisition for the 2009-10 campaign.The Fluminense central defender is expected to put pen to paper on a deal at the San Siro on Monday after undergoing a medical.

However, the Brazil international will not be able to play for Carlo Ancelotti's outfit until next season with Milan having all of their non-European places covered.

Silva is the latest Brazilian to join Milan, whose contingent already includes Alexandre Pato, Kaka, Dida, Emerson and Ronaldinho and he believes he will have no problem fitting in.

"I said yes to Milan because they are among the best clubs in the world and I will do everything to remain there for a long time," said Silva.

"Pato and Kaka are my friends and I am delighted to be able to play with them.

"I know Italian football, the tournament is difficult and hard but I think I will adapt quickly."

The 24-year-old will have a huge responsibility on his shoulders as he is set to replace veteran defender Paolo Maldini, who will retire at the end of the season.

"Maldini is very important for Milan," added Silva. "It will be difficult to replace him but I'll do the best I can in order to do as he has done in the history of this club.

Source:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com

Archive