Lewis flummoxed by change of fortune

Lewis Hamilton admits even he does not entirely understand his dramatic change in fortune over the past twelve months, but the McLaren driver insists he has not fallen out of love with Silverstone as he prepares to return to the scene of one of his greatest triumphs next weekend.

Hamilton got his tilt for the Formula One title back on track last season with a glorious victory that moved him back to the top of the drivers championship he would go on to win.

A year down the line, in the last British Grand Prix to held at the track before it is moved to Donnington Park, Hamilton would have been hoping for a repeat performance to bolster the defence of his crown.

Instead, his title has already been all but relinquished in a season where he has had to be content with scraps as fellow Briton Jenson Button takes the glory and the publicity.

Button will be looking to continue his relentless march to the 2009 championship with a seventh Grand Prix win of the season in his Brawn GP next Sunday, while Hamilton - in a vastly inferior McLaren - will simply be happy to get in the points places at all.

The turnaround has left many bewildered, not least Hamilton himself, but the 24-year-old is determined to enjoy the Silverstone send-off and retains the hope that he will be a contender again next season.

"I don't feel this year I've had more pressure than I've had before but it's definitely been a different situation," Hamilton said.

"If I had the opportunity to defend, I would be defending but clearly I haven't had the car to be able to do that.

"I think this year I have to just keep learning and enjoying the year, but hopefully next year we can go back for another win.

"I don't think people necessarily always understand what's going on in the sport, they don't understand why these things happen.

"I don't understand how we've come to where we are now but they (the media) have got a job to do, and you have to respect that, everyone has their own opinions.

"I love the Silverstone Grand Prix and its going to be a very special one because its the last Silverstone Grand Prix that we are going to have for some time.

"Being in my home country, being around my people, having the support - last year especially was incredible - and bringing the world championship back to the UK, it makes me very proud.

"It doesn't matter how young you are or how old you are, they're all there supporting and waving the British flag for myself and Jenson so I really hope they enjoy it and I'm looking forward to it too."

Source: http://www.planetf1.com

Archive