Nieto announces MotoGP retirement

Fonsi Nieto has announced that he is to retire from racing, having been unable to fully recover from injuries to contest the 2011 season in a suitable manner. The Spaniard, nephew of former multiple motorcycle title winner Ángel and now 32, has released a statement in Spanish on his personal website.

‘As you all know I was ready to participate in Moto2 this season, but after trying much medication all winter I have decided to end my career,’ he writes.

‘Making the decision has been difficult for me and, thanks to my cousins and my personal sponsor Confremar, I was in a privileged position in these difficult times for everyone.

But unfortunately for me, my foot still is not 100 percent to compete at the highest level and I would be unable to offer much to my team and everyone who supports me.

Retirement is a withdrawal which causes me endless grief because the motorcycle has been and will always be my life. But I'm satisfied. Satisfied with what the world and the bike have given me, both in sporting and human terms.

I have lived through great moments, moments I would never have dreamed of, and I have known and worked with amazing people who made a child’s dream come true.’

Archive