Vermeulen back to the front.

Sat 21 Jun, 07:05 PM

Wet grand prix winner Chris Vermeulen claims first front row start of the season in soaking conditions at Donington Park.

Chris Vermeulen piloted his Rizla Suzuki GSV-R to his first front row grid position of the season, as he revelled in the wet weather at Donington Park on Saturday.

Vermeulen had a heavy fall in this morning's practice that saw him lose valuable track time, but the Australian was able to return to the track uninjured this afternoon and was tied for pole with Casey Stoner for much of the middle stages, before being bumped to third by the Ducati rider and world championship leader Valentino Rossi in the closing stages.

"I'm happy to be back on the front row, it's the first time this year - so it was about time it happened! The team gave me a great bike to do the job on in the wet conditions. This morning I made a bit of a mistake in the wet and crashed, so that cost me a bit of track time. It made this afternoon a bit of a gamble as far as set-up goes, but as I say my guys gave me the tool to do the job. I just went out and reeled off some laps and felt very comfortable doing those times. If it's wet tomorrow we've got a good tyre, and if it's dry we've got our tyres sorted as well so hopefully in all conditions we'll be strong - we now have to wait and see what the weather does!"

"I am really pleased that Chris has made the front row," added team manager Paul Denning. "The crash this morning was not an ideal way to prepare for qualifying and he was able to put that behind him and do a really solid job this afternoon. Casey did a great time at the end and I think we could have been second with another lap, but Chris made the right decision - when he thought he'd received the chequered flag - to abort the chance of a final lap right at the end of the session. Well done to him and the crew on the front row result, it was well deserved and puts Chris in good shape for tomorrow."

Archive