Vettel rejects Schumi comparisons

German Sebastian Vettel has dismissed comparisons with Michael Schumacher after becoming the youngest winner in Formula One history in Monza on Sunday.

"About this comparison, you have to realise what he achieved in the past," The Toro Rosso driver, 21, said of the seven-times world champion.

"I'm very young and at an early stage of my career, so I don't think there's any need to make a comparison.

"Fernando (Alonso) is the closest as he's a two-time world champion."

Vettel, who also also clinched his maiden pole on Saturday, earned the praise of Toro Rosso co-owner Gerhard Berger who believes he has the potential to enjoy a successful career.

Nicknamed 'Baby-Schumi' and a close friend of the Formula One legend, Vettel will switch to sister team Red Bull Racing for next season as replacement for the retiring David Coulthard.

"Michael is probably one of the best drivers we have ever seen, and in a way I'm proud because I know him," explained Vettel.

"He's a very nice guy and completely down to earth."

Vettel insists he will be fully focused for the rest of the season, despite the publicity surrounding his win at Monza.

"I won't go to Singapore and feel like a hero or a superstar and expect another race win just like that.

"It's not going to be like that because where I come from and how I grew up.

"I am down to earth enough to realise what happened, and to understand the approach for the next races," he added.

"People can at least see we do have a strong package, so towards the end of the season I hope we can score some more points.

"Just to get into the top 10 in qualifying will still be a big success for us."

Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk

Archive