Nick: I can win the title with the right car

Despite having never won a grand prix, Nick Heidfeld is confident he can win the World title if BMW give him a car that is capable of doing so.

Heidfeld has racked up 152 grand prix starts, however, the German has yet to take to the top step of the podium, finishing second on seven occasions.

Four of those alone came last year with BMW with the 30-year-old going on to claim sixth place in the Drivers' standings.

However, Heidfeld was largely upstaged by his less-experienced team-mate Robert Kubica, who did what the German could not do and that is clinch BMW's maiden grand prix win.

While Kubica took to the top step of the Canadian GP podium, Heidfeld had to contend with the runner-up slot.

"So far, I have contested just one race where my car and the circumstances would have offered me the chance of crossing the finish line as the winner: last year in Montreal," Heidfeld of the Canadian GP.

"But my team-mate secured the win and we celebrated a one-two."

But despite coming up short against his team-mate in Canada and in the overall standings at the end of the campaign, Heidfeld is confident that it's only a matter of time before he's fighting for - and winning - the World title.

"I don't constantly think about clinching my maiden GP win," he told the team's official website. "After all, it's my goal to win the title and not just a race.

"Should the car have what it takes to win the title, I can make it.

"Thanks to the major improvements we realised last year, we won't have to make such a big step forward in 2009."

Source:
http://www.planetf1.com

Archive