Gibernau says he's still acclimatising

By Matt Beer

Sete Gibernau admitted he was still getting up to speed on his return to MotoGP after a low-key test performance at Sepang.

Following two years on the sidelines, the former title contender is making a MotoGP comeback with a satellite Ducati team set to run under the Guinea Ecuatorial banner.

Gibernau was just over 1.5 seconds off the pace throughout this week's test in Malaysia, although he did break into the top ten on the first day. He said that after his long lay-off he was still adjusting to being back on MotoGP machinery, and conceded that he also needed to work on his feedback.

"I think I need to work on myself and trying to ride a little bit more relaxed on the bike," Gibernau told the official MotoGP website.

"And trying to bring back the feeling of being able to anticipate what the bike is going to do, and also being able to translate that to the team so they can work a little bit easier and find the direction that we need on the bike.

"And to get to know the team as well, so that they understand what I need to go fast. I need to be more precise to tell them what I need, so they can fix it on the bike."

But despite his difficulties, the 36-year-old was generally pleased with his progress at the test.

"I think we had three good days," Gibernau said.

"We went in many different directions to try to understand the bike a bit. I think sometimes we went in wrong directions, but it's good to understand what the bike does. I'm satisfied. I think the team did a great job. I think we're in a good direction now."

Archive