Nehwal gets India's top sports honour

NEW DELHI: Indian badminton ace and world number two Saina Nehwal was awarded India's highest sporting honour on Friday.

Nehwal, 20, was named the recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award after a string of impressive performances that saw her become the first Indian to win a Super Series title when she triumphed at the 2009 Indonesia Open.

"I am really happy. It's unbelievable, a dream come true for me," she was quoted as saying by the Press Trust of India.

"I have done well in the last two years and the three titles that I won recently have really boosted my confidence. I am now preparing for the World Championship and hope to win the title," she said.

Previous recipients of the award, which will be presented to Nehwal by President Pratibha Patil next month, include cricket superstar Sachin Tendulkar.- AFP

Source: http://www.dailyexpress.com.my

Archive