Striker Toni joins Juventus

Rome -- Juventus have completed the free signing of former Italy striker Luca Toni from Genoa, the Turin giants revealed on Friday.

The 33-year-old former Bayern Munich and Fiorentina forward, who has 16 goals in 47 caps for Italy, signed an 18-month deal.

According to Italian news agency Ansa, the deal means Genoa will save six million euros that were due to Toni as a signing on fee when he joined on a free from Bayern at the beginning of the season.

And he revealed that he couldn't say no despite the pay cut needed to accept Juve's offer.

"You can't say no to Juve, I'm realising a dream, I'm delighted," he said at his official unveiling. "When I was offered the move I didn't hesitate and I had no problem taking a pay cut.

"I have confidence (in Juve) because I've seen the hunger and the desire to get results."

Toni, a member of Italy's 2006 World Cup winning squad, had scored just three goals in 16 games this season for Genoa.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com

Archive