Capirossi: Now I’m retired!

Loris Capirossi bid farewell to the grand prix paddock he has called his home for the last 20 years with a steady run to ninth position in the Valencia Grand Prix.

His 328th and final race, though Capirossi's concluding season in the top flight aboard the Pramac Ducati has been a struggle at times, he fittingly appeared on course for his best finish of the year by getting as high as seventh around the Spanish circuit.

However, the arrival of rain in the closing stages would prompt the MotoGP veteran to back off, Capirossi favouring caution in an effort to finish his final race and to also ensure he brought the Ducati – adorned with Marco Simoncelli's number 58 – home to the chequered flag.

Crossing the line ninth – which remains his equal-best finish of the season -, he paid tribute to those that have supported him over the last two decades.

"What can I say, now it's really finished. The race was complicated by the rain, and in the last laps I couldn't push because I risked crashing. I wanted to end my career in a good way honoring Marco. I gave my best. Thanks to all the people that have supported me. Now I'm retired!"

Archive