Maradona: Messi Must Be Argentina’s Leader

Lucas Brown, Goal.com

Diego Maradona has told Lionel Messi that he expects him to give everything for his country and become the leader of the national team by living up to all the expectations that surround him.

The Albicelestes coach believes that the Barcelona star must show the utmost dedication at international level, citing himself as an example to follow.

Messi is currently rated as one of the world’s best players, but Maradona wants him to ensure that he steps up yet another level when playing for Argentina and leads the side forward.

“I gave everything for my country as I played when I had to have injections or I was injured,” the trainer told reporters.

“I hope to see Leo doing this and a lot more besides for the good of Argentina because we have great expectations of what he can do for the national team.

“It cost me a lot to keep playing. It is a unique opportunity because the players need a leader and I want him to be it. I am proud of the squad that I have.”

Maradona feels that some of the desire to play for Argentina has been lacking and is keen to remind the squad what he feels it means to wear the Albicelestes’ colours.

“I want to bring back the old mystique of the shirt, to instil into the players what wearing it really means,” he added

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com

Archive