Enke Out to Prove He's No 1

Robert Enke will start Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Liechtenstein in Leipzig determined to prove he deserves to be Germany's number one.

The Hannover stopper's bid to be Jens Lehmann's permanent successor has been hampered by a broken hand, which has allowed the likes of Bayer Leverkusen's Rene Adler and Tim Wiese from Werder Bremen to stake their claims.

Adler, though, is himself missing this weekend with an elbow injury, and 31-year-old Enke is determined to show he is the best option for coach Joachim Low.

"I know that there will be a rush for the number one spot," he said. "I accept the competition and hope that I can continue the way I was going before my injury."

And he joked: "I am definitely the right man because as I have read I am the only national goalkeeper who up till now has not conceded a goal against Liechtenstein."

Enke played in Germany's 6-0 victory in Vaduz in September, one of only four caps he has won.

Germany certainly have nothing like the experience among their goalkeepers that they had when Oliver Kahn and Lehmann were competing, and goalkeeping coach Andreas Kopke insists Enke cannot yet call himself first choice.

"We are still not set on a number one," he said. "We will not wait for the World Cup to make the decision, but we will also not put ourselves under pressure."

Kopke explained Enke's club form had earned him the start tomorrow, saying: "Despite the difficult situation at his club, he has always performed."

Germany go into the match four points clear at the top of Group Four, although second-placed Russia have a game in hand.

Tomorrow's opponents are bottom of the table and Mario Gomez hopes the game will give him the chance to bag his first international goal in a year.

Injury to Miroslav Klose means the Stuttgart striker will play from the start, probably alongside Lukas Podolski, as he looks to add to his six international goals.

He said: "I hope I can justify the faith of the coach and want to deliver a good performance. I always have my chances in the national team, but have unfortunately not scored the goals. But I have enough self-belief to know that I will score my goals if I am fit."

Defender Per Mertesacker should be fit to play, but striker Stefan Kiessling (knee) is a doubt and midfielder Piotr Trochowski (knee) is definitely out.

Adler will also miss the qualifier against Wales in Cardiff next week.

Liechtenstein have improved since their thrashing at home to Germany, drawing away to Azerbaijan and frustrating Wales for long periods before eventually losing 2-0.

They have still to score in goal in the group, and are hampered by injury and suspension this weekend, but defender Marco Ritzberger insists morale is high.

He told the Liechtensteiner Vaterland newspaper: "It has long been known that we have to battle with some suspended and injured players.

"In spite of this we want to do our best, especially as we have a large squad and chances for other players can present themselves."

Source:
http://www.sportinglife.com

Archive