Pedrosa released from hospital

The Spaniard was admitted to the USP Institut Universitari Dexeus hospital in Barcelona on Wednesday for surgery on his left arm and knee after sustaining injuries during testing in Qatar on Monday.

Dr Xavier Mir, head of hand surgery and microsurgery at the hospital, was positive about Pedrosa's chances of a quick recovery, but was cautious about his chances of racing in Losail on the opening weekend of the 2009 season.

Dr Mir said: "The work that we did today on Dani Pedrosa's knee allowed us to make it look a lot better, and so now it is looking very good, and Dr. Ferreira, who carried out the operation, has allowed him to begin putting his foot on the floor as there were some doubts about whether he could walk with crutches.

"Turning to the recovery times, we are optimistic, although we cannot commit ourselves to being ready for the first race. We will take all the relevant steps to speed his recovery, and even though we cannot say whether he will be ready for the first race we do not rule anything out. The knee injury is more complicated but it is looking very good, so we are optimistic. We know that in many cases the recovery times for professional sportsmen are usually shorter, and keeping this in mind Dani's prognosis is very good.

Pedrosa's arm is expected to heal within a week but, after receiving a skin graft, his knee may take up to a month to heal, putting his appearance in Qatar in doubt.

Pedrosa said after being released from the hospital: "I feel quite a lot better. When I arrived the truth is that the knee did not look very good, but the operation went well and I am pleased. This morning Dr Ferreira made his final check and I saw how good the knee was looking.

"Now I have to rest a little as it is very important to give the body a break for the first few days, let things take their course, then I will start my recovery plan. I imagine that at the beginning it will be tough trying to give the skin and knee some elasticity.

"Referring to my arm, this will not be so complicated, as it will not be immobilised for so long. We are planning to work hard and so be ready for the first race in Qatar, but when the day arrives we will have to see whether I am really in perfect shape to get on the bike. The objective is to try and be fit for the first race.

"You do not choose to be in a situation like this, but we have no other choice than to face up to things and to carry on. I have fallen many times and I have always fought back and I will do it again. We will get back to riding fast on the bike, but it is true that I am having some problems this pre-season, but there is nothing we can do about that, we just have to keep going."

Source:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com

Archive