Mickelson and Watney share CA Championship lead

MIAMI (AFP) - Phil Mickelson and Nick Watney traded the lead back and forth before ending the third round locked together at the CA Championship on Saturday.

Mickelson carded a solid three-under-par 69, while Watney shot 67 in a moderate breeze at Doral Resort's Blue Monster.

At 16-under 200, they enjoyed a four-stroke lead over Indian Jeev Milkha Singh (68) and Colombian Camilo Villegas (69), with one round to play in the World Golf Championships event.

World number one Tiger Woods is out of contention, nine strokes behind, but was extremely happy with his ball-striking.

"The course was a little tougher today because the wind was a little stronger and the greens a little firmer, but there were still plenty of birdie holes," said Mickelson.

"I would love to have shot a little lower, but starting the day I would have been happy with 69.

"I feel like I'm playing well and I'd like to finish off with a nice Sunday."

Singh, meanwhile, improved his position thanks largely to eagles at the par-five first and 12th holes.

"I've won on most tours in the world and I would like to win here too," he said. "That would be the icing on the cake."

Source:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com

Archive