Seedorf explains Gattuso chaos

Clarence Seedorf is furious at the “offence against my professionalism” following his chaotic missed substitution with Gennaro Gattuso.

The Dutchman took so long to come off the bench during the derby on Saturday night that an injured Gattuso carried on and received two yellow cards for mistimed challenges.

“I had a very strong desire to play and get out there, to be ready for anything the Coach needed, and that is what happened,” insisted Seedorf after Milan’s 4-0 defeat to Inter.

“When we were 1-0 down [Massimo] Ambrosini was meant to come on. When the penalty happened I went to warm up in the players’ tunnel, which is probably about 50 metres long.”

A great deal of confusion continues to surround that substitution, as it took Seedorf several minutes to change into his football boots and pull on his shirt. By the time he was ready, a furious Gattuso had been sent off.

“I was wearing trainers and not slippers, as some newspapers claimed. This is all an offence against my professionalism. I warmed up inside before anyone actually told me to. Therefore I anticipated a decision that would later be made by the Coach.

“I was returning from a 40-day injury lay-off and in the last week had a calf problem, which is why I had the trainers on.

“I also read comments on the issue of the shirt. If I must apologise for this, then I will, but I think I proved the desire I had to play in the second half when I did well.”

Seedorf is offended that some fans and elements of the media have accused him of dragging his feet to come off the bench, perhaps irritated that he has not been in the starting XI recently.

“Just ask Leonardo how I behaved in Siena when he didn’t let me on the pitch and we discussed it. In my career I have always tried to act professionally and give my all to the team.”

Milan have investigated the incident and decided not to hand fines to any of the people involved.

Source: http://www.acmilan-online.com

Archive